November 2014: Country-Style Breakfast
Grilled bone-in ham steak served with hash brown potatoes, poached eggs, red-eye gravy, and homemade skillet corn bread along with jams and honey.
Recipe By: Chef Eamon LeeChef Eamon
|Eggs, large||2 ea.|
|Hash Brown Potatoes|
|Olive oil||1 1/2 Tlb.|
|Russet baking potatoes, peeled, grated||4 oz.|
|Black pepper, café||t.t.|
|Bone-in fully-cooked ham steak||1 ea.|
|Red Eye Gravy|
|Flour AP||1 tsp.|
|Strong brewed coffee||4 oz.|
|Brown sugar||1 tsp.|
|Ham broth||2 oz.|
|Cast Iron Skillet Corn Bread Yield: 8 Servings|
|Cornmeal, coarsely ground||1 1/4 c.|
|Flour AP||3/4 c.|
|Sugar, granulated||1/4 c.|
|Kosher salt||1 tsp.|
|Baking powder||2 tsp.|
|Baking soda||1/2 tsp.|
|Whole milk||1/3 c.|
|Eggs, large, lightly beaten||2 ea.|
|Butter, unsalted, melted||4 oz.|
1. Bring water in a saucepan to almost boiling. Add vinegar to the water.
2 Working the eggs one by one, crack an egg into a small cup and gently drop the egg into the water. With
a spoon, nudge the egg whites closer to their yolk. This will help the egg whites hold together.
3. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for approximately 2-3 minutes until the egg whites are cooked.
4. Lift out of pan with a slotted spoon.
Hash Brown Potatoes
1. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat.
2. Squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the grated potatoes. Use a potato ricer but don't force the
potatoes through it.
3. Now add the potatoes, spreading them out along the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper. After
a few minutes, using a spatula flip the potatoes over all at once. Continue cooking until they are golden brown
on the bottom.
1. Add the ham steak to grill and cook for approximately 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until the ham
is heated through approximately another 4 minutes
Cast Iron Skillet Corn Bread
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Then
whisk in the milk, buttermilk and eggs. Now whisk in all of the melted butter except 1 Tlb for the skillet.
3. Carefully remove the hot skillet from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Coat the bottom and
sides of the hot skillet with reserved melted butter. Pour the batter into the skillet and place it in the center of
the oven. Bake until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately
20-25 minutes. Remove from oven allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving
Stay up to date on the latest trends with Essence of Maines Magazine.
Get inspired every week with Chef Jake and Chef Eamon's 'My Best Dish Yet' Articles and Recipes.