March 2014: Salt Baked Fish
Seashore Dinner with Salt Baked Striped Bass Stuffed with Citrus and Fennel, Boiled Salt Potatoes and local Sweet Corn
Recipe by: Chef Eamon Lee
|Kosher Salt||8 cups|
|Egg Whites||8 ea|
|Whole Hybrid Striped Bass||2 each|
|Lemons, Sliced Thin||6 slices|
|Limes, Sliced Thin||6 slices|
|Orange, Sliced Thin||6 slices|
|Fennel Seeds||1 tsp|
|Fresh Dill Sprigs||4 each|
|Fresh Thyme Sprigs||4 each|
|Italian Parsley Sprigs||4 each|
|Red B Potatoes||1/2 lb|
|New York State Bi-Color Corn||2 ears|
|Butter, Melted||4 oz|
1. Combine the egg whites and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix for 2-3 minutes until well blended. Add a little water until it resembles moist sand, about ½ cup.
1. Bring a gallon of water, 2 ½ cups of salt, and the potatoes to a simmer, and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Keep warm for service.
1. Shuck the corn and remove all of the silk.
2. Cut the corn into 1-2” slices.
3. Right before service, boil the corn in water until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Serve with salt potatoes and plenty of salted butter.
1. Stuff each fish with three slices each of lemon, orange and lime, ½ tsp. of fennel seeds, two dill sprigs, two thyme sprigs and two parsley sprigs.
2. On a sheet tray lined with parchment paper, spread out 1 cup of salt crust mixture. Place the fish on the base of salt and cover with the remaining salt mixture, being sure to cover completely. Repeat for the other fish.
3. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until an inserted thermometer reads 135F. Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes.
1. With a small serrated knife, cut the salt crust in half going along the perimeter of the fish. Try not to cut the flesh.
2. Lift the salt crust top off and discard.
3. Transfer the fish and bottom crust to a platter and serve the fish, salt potatoes, corn and butter family style.
Stay up to date on the latest trends with Essence of Maines Magazine.
Get inspired every week with Chef Jake and Chef Eamon's 'My Best Dish Yet' Articles and Recipes.