June 2014: House Cured Short-Rib Pastrami
House Cured Short-Rib Pastrami on a "Weck" Roll, Caraway and Apple Sauerkraut, Rosemary Mustard, Half Sour Pickles, Chef Potato Salad
Recipe by: Chef Eamon LeeChef Eamon
|Kosher Salt||1/2 cup|
|Cure #2 (Pink Salt)||1 Tbsp|
|Pickling Spice||1 Tbsp|
|Granulated Sugar||1/4 cup|
|Boneless Chuck Short Rib||1 ea (2-3lb)|
|Peeled Cloves of Garlic||2 ea|
|Coriander Seeds, Coarsely Ground||¼ cup|
|Whole Black Peppercorns, Coarsely Ground||¼ cup|
|Corn Starch||2 Tbsp|
|5" Hamburger Roll||6 ea|
|Kosher Salt||1/4 cup|
|Caraway Seed||1/4 cup|
|Whole Grain Mustard||1/3 cup|
|Dijon Mustard||1/3 cup|
|Fresh Rosemary, Stemmed and Chopped||1 Tbsp|
|10% Oil||2 Tbsp|
|Yellow Onion, Small Dice||1/2 cup|
|Granny Smith Apple, Small Dice||1/2 cup|
|Caraway Seed||1 tsp|
|Half Sour Pickles||6 ea|
|Potato Salad||6 cups|
1. Combine the salt, pink salt, pickling spice, sugar, water and garlic and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, remove from heat and cool completely.
3. Immerse the short rib in the brine making sure it is covered completely. Cover and place in cooler.
4. Brine for 3 days.
5. Remove from brine, and pat dry. Coat the pastrami evenly with ground corianders and peppercorns.
6. Place in cold smoker for 1 hour or until desired amount of smoke flavor is imparted.
7. Remove from smoker and transfer to a perforated hotel pan.
8. Place the perforated hotel pan into a 4” hotel pan with 2” of warm water in it. Steam on the stove top or in the oven for 2-3 hours or until the pastrami is fork tender. Be sure to replenish escaped water while it is cooking.
9. When pastrami is cooked, either cool or hold it hot it according to local health codes.
1. Stir the cornstarch into the cool water and transfer to a small sauce pan.
2. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Using a clean silicone pastry brush, coat the top of each hamburger roll.
4. Sprinkle a generous layer of caraway seeds and kosher salt over the rolls.
5. Place the rolls into a 300F oven and bake for 3 minutes or until the cornstarch glaze is set.
6. Remove from oven, cool, and transfer to a plastic bag or other airtight container.
1. Combine the mustards, mayonnaise and rosemary and mix well.
2. Season to taste and transfer to storage container.
Caraway and Apple Sauerkraut
1. Saute the onion and apple in the oil for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Add the caraway seeds.
2. Add the sauerkraut and cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and flavorful. Keep warm.
1. Slice the meat thinly and divide into 6 portions. If working with cold pastrami, heat the portions in a steamer.
2. Warm the rolls in the oven to refresh them. Dress each roll with rosemary mustard.
3. Top each roll with warm pastrami and sauerkraut. Place roll top on, plate, and serve with half sour pickle and 1 cup of potato salad.
Stay up to date on the latest trends with Essence of Maines Magazine.
Get inspired every week with Chef Eamon's 'My Best Dish Yet' Articles and Recipes.