January 2014: Snack Trend
Chili Dusted Spiced Chickpeas, Rosemary and Olive Oil Popcorn, Curried Carrot Strips, Peruvian Potato Chips, and Guacamole Deviled Eggs
Recipe by: Chef Eamon Lee
|Popcorn, Air Popped||2 cups|
|Fresh Rosemary, Stemmed and Fried 10 Seconds||1 Tbsp|
|Salted Butter, Melted||2 Tbsp|
|Carrots, Peeled and Shredded on Mandolin||1 cup|
|Curry Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Chickpeas, Drained and Dried||1 cup|
|Cajun Seasoning||1 1/2 tsp|
|Purple Potatoes, Sliced Thin on Mandolin||1/2 cup|
|Eggs, Hard Boiled, and Peeled||4 ea|
|Prepared Guacamole||3 oz|
For the popcorn
1. To order, toss warm popcorn with fried rosemary, melted butter and kosher salt. Serve immediately
For the carrots:
1. Fry the shredded carrots at 300F until golden brown. Remove, drain, and as they cool fluff them with a pair of tongs. Carrots will crisp as they cool.
2. While still warm, season with curry powder and kosher salt.
3. Warm to order in an oven.
For the chickpeas:
1. Make sure the chickpeas are drained well and dry.
2. Fry the chickpeas at 325F until golden brown and crispy.
3. While still warm, season with Cajun seasoning and kosher salt.
4. Warm to order in an oven.
For the purple potato chips:
1. Rinse and pat dry the potato slices.
2. Fry at 325F until they just start to color and begin to crisp.
3. Remove and drain on towels.
4. While still warm, season with kosher salt.
5. Warm to order in an oven.
For the eggs:
1. Cut a flat surface on each side of the egg so it stands on end.
2. using a small spoon, carefully remove the yolk from each egg keeping the egg white intact.
3. Combine the guacamole, egg yolks and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Fill a piping bag fitted with a ¼” round tip with the devilled egg mixture.
5. Carefully pipe the devilled egg mixture into each egg to order.
Stay up to date on the latest trends with Essence of Maines Magazine.
Get inspired every week with Chef Jake and Chef Eamon's 'My Best Dish Yet' Articles and Recipes.